Is Queen Elizabeth II a descendant of Muhammad?


A question that has come up several times on my YouTube channel is:

"Is Queen Elizabeth II a descendant of the Prophet Muhammad?"

Well, here's a chart outlining a theory that has been circulating over the last few years:

The theory hinges on Zaida of Seville (c. 1070-1100). If she was indeed the daughter of Al-Mu'tamid (ruler of the Taifa of Seville in what is today Spain), then we likely have a clear way of showing how Queen Elizabeth is related to the Prophet. But if she was instead a daughter-in-law (i.e. married to one of Al-Mu'tamid's sons before her relationship with Alfonso VI), then this particularly theory basically falls apart.

But do you know what? It doesn't really matter. Because either way, it's almost certain that Queen Elizabeth is in fact a descendant of Muhammad, even if we don't know exactly how. 

Why? Because I am too. And you. And everyone else in the Western world! (not to mention the Middle East, N. Africa and much of Asia)

When I hear people proudly state that they are descendant of Charlemagne or William the Conqueror or some other medieval person, I usually find myself biting my tongue and holding back a snarky retort of, "Who cares? We all are!" So rather than simply doing that, let me explain.

One way or another, everyone on earth is related. And if you live in or near the Western world, you don't have to go back very far to find a common ancestor between any two people. In fact, based on some fancy math backed up with some genealogical research, that number is about 1000 years ago.

What that means is this: If you go back to the year 1000 and set aside the approximately 20% of individuals who didn't have any offspring or who's descendants all died out relatively quickly - everyone else remaining (about 80% of the people living at that time) are your direct ancestors. So congratulations - you're the descendant of a whole bunch of kings, queens, and other famous people. But you're also the descendant of many more farmers, servants, and everyday folk.


But don't let that put you off genealogy, You see, the real fun is in figuring out exactly how you might be related to Charlemagne, or Muhammad, or someone else you are interested in. If you can figure it out, that is what will set you apart from most people. And luckily, it is becoming increasingly easy to do such research thanks to online genealogy sites and DNA tests.

And, of course, these two charts made by yours truly might come in handy too :)


Like charts? Make sure to follow me on Twitter.

Older Post Newer Post

Leave a comment

Please note, comments must be approved before they are published